fredag, januari 23, 2009

Nyinflyttad President

Vote for me, vote for me
I want the nomination for the Presidency
Vote for me, vote for me
If I am elected, this is how it will be

I'll cut your tax in half
I'll make the Russians laugh
I'll feed the hungry people everywhere
I'll bring the railroads back
New trains and new track
From Waikiki to old Deleware

Vote for me, vote for me
I want the nomination for the Presidency
Vote for me, vote for me
If I am elected, this is how it will be


I'll give Detroit one year
New cars that run on beer
Or anything except gasoline
I'm looking to the sun
More power for everyone
And the cleanest sky that you've ever seen
I'm not going to kid you, there's a lot to do
Little can I promise, it's really up to you
But if we all work together
And I think we can
And if you want some new ideas
Then I'm your man


Vote for me, vote for me
I want the nomination for the Presidency
Vote for me, vote for me
If I am elected, this is how it will be

I'll work for global peace
And the sweet release
Of the love and human kindness in us all
I would give all I've got
You just give me a shot
Somehow, I know that I can win the fall

Chicago, 1977




Chicago var ett av mina absoluta favoritband under 70-talet med sin typiska sättning av blås och komp. Tillsammans med Blood, Sweat & Tears stod dom för en egen karaktäristisk musikstil. En av deras låtar "Vote for me" är fortfarande efter dryga 30 år högaktuell med en underbar text.

Missförstå mig inte! Det är inte min mening att verka cynisk inför det faktum att Barack Obama svurit eden som USA's President. Av kandidaterna kan jag inte tänka mig en bättre person än Barack att anta den gigantiska utmaningen där resultatet, oavsett om förväntningarna infrias eller inte, kommer att få globala följder. När t om stora delar av de konservativa väljarna och deras företrädare sluter upp bakom honom finns förutsättningar för "Change".

Från Baracks installationstal har jag valt ut några citat som jag särskilt gillar. Det ska bli spännande att följa utvecklingen av hur väl han förvaltar det enorma förtroende han skaffat sig. Tipset att skillnaden i ledarskap och utförande, jämfört med George W. Bush, lär bli gigantisk är inte annat än en lågoddsare!

Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real, they are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this America: They will be met.

Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things -- some celebrated, but more often men and women obscure in their labor -- who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom.

And for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that, "Our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken. You cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history, but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.

To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict or blame their society's ills on the West, know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.

Our challenges may be new, the instruments with which we meet them may be new, but those values upon which our success depends, honesty and hard work, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism -- these things are old.

Etiketter:

Bloggtoppen.se